This guide will give you the resources you need to research careers. This guide is meant to be a starting point for researching a career in general. However, if you're already sure about your career plans, check out the research guides for your discipline to find more specific career information for your field.
Guide to Career Resources at Alkek
Other Career Related Guides
Here are other guides to help you with researching your career.
- Last Updated May 22, 2014
Many college students and graduates are unsure of the career path or major they want to pursue. Use the resources on this page to help you uncover your values, strengths, personality, and skills, while researching different paths.
339 views this year
- Last Updated Jul 25, 2014
Obtain information about career planning, informational interviewing and steps towards a successful career.
819 views this year
- Last Updated Oct 12, 2012
This guide outlines specific search strategies and library resources to assist students in exploring careers to support the Personalized Academic Career Exploration for incoming freshmen.
102 views this year
Ask A Librarian
You can also make an online or face-to-face
Here's more information
Guide to Alkek Library Floors
Information about what can be found on each floor of the Alkek Library:
- This is where you go to get help with research.
- Reference Desk Hours can be found here.
- This is where you go to check out books.
- Loan Periods for students, faculty & staff.
- You can also check-out laptops and request a Texshare Card here.
- This is the place you go to clear holds on your account.
Workstations and Printers
- Access Internet and Microsoft production software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and etc.) on all but a few of the computers.
- If you have problems printing, there is a printer help station or you can ask for help at the Reference desk.
Reserve, Periodicals and Media Desk
- Print copies of reserve items (books, old tests, articles, etc.).
- There are also dvds, cds, and other types of materials like 3-D objects.
- You can check the Reserve collection to see if something is on reserve. Search by course or professor's last name.
- You can ask questions about periodicals or the media collection. The staff can also assist you with issues relating to the equipment (like the microform/fiche readers).
Newspapers, Current Magazines and Journals
- Current issues shelved alphabetically by title of periodical.
- Older issues are bound together by volume or replaced by microfilm/fiche.(You'll need a call number to locate bound or microform periodicals.
- 1980-present are on the 3rd floor, if bound.
- Older than 1980 are kept in the regular collection, and can be found by their call number.
Microfilm/fiche and Readers
- Use these to look at journals on microfilm or microfiche.
- Assistance is available.
- Copies are .10/page or use the new DIGITAL scanner/reader. (USB drive is necessary to save articles.)
- This scanner allows you to scan and then either email the document to yourself or save it to a USB drive.
- The Computer Lab provides both PC and Macintosh hardware, with a more extensive software collection than most computers on most Library computers. Software includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and SPSS.
- You'll need to check in at the Computer Lab desk and leave your student ID.
Government Information/Maps/Curriculum Materials
- Alkek Library is a Federal and State depository for government documents.
- The area has lots of good stuff, like maps, and the special map printer/plotter.
- It's also where you can check out textbooks used in the Texas public schools (elementary and high school).
- Student Learning Assistance Center provides tutoring and writing assistance.
- SLAC posts its schedule of tutors and subjects online.
Floors 5, 6, & 7
- Most of the books and other materials you can check out of the library are on these floors.
- Individual & group study rooms are also available on these floors.
- The 5th & 6th floors are designated as the "quiet floors."