You'll find information about how to find books, search for articles, and about the many services Alkek has to offer you. Alkek Librarians are available to help you via Ask-A-Librarian.
Guide to Alkek Library Floors
Here is information about what can be found on each floor of the Alkek Library:
- This is where you go to get help with research.
- The desk is staffed from 9:00am-9:00pm everyday except Saturday (9am-6pm) and Sunday (1pm-9pm).
- This is where you go to check out books.
- Generally, graduate students are allowed to check materials out for a semester.
- You can also check-out laptops and obtain Texshare cards here.
Workstations and Printers
- Access Internet and Microsoft production software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and etc.) on all but a few of the computers.
- If you have problems printing, there is a printer help station or you can ask for help at the Reference desk.
Reserve, Periodicals and Media Desk
- Print copies of reserve items (books, old tests, articles, etc.).
- There are also DVDs, CDs, and other types of materials like 3-D objects.
- You may check the Reserves collection to see if something is on reserve. Search by course or professor's last name.
- You may ask questions about periodicals or the media collection. The staff can help you with any problems
relating to the equipment (like the microform/fiche readers).
Newspapers, Current Magazines and Journals
- Current issues shelved alphabetically by title of periodical.
- Older issues are bound together by volume or replaced by microfilm/fiche.
- 1980-present are on the 3rd floor, if bound.
- Older than 1980 are kept in the regular collection, and may be found by their call number.
Microfilm/fiche and Readers
- Use these machines to look at journals on microfilm or microfiche.
- Assistance is available.
- Copies are .10.
- This scanner allows you to scan and then either email the document to yourself or save it to a USB drive.
- The Computer Lab provides both PC and Macintosh hardware, with a more extensive software collection than most computers on most Library computers. Software includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and SPSS.
- You'll need to check in at the Computer Lab desk and leave your student ID while using computers.
Government Information/Maps/Curriculum Materials
- Alkek Library is a Federal and State depository for government documents.
- Maps, and a special map plotter printer, are available.
- Textbooks used in the Texas public schools (elementary and high school) may also be found here.
- Student Learning Assistance Center provides tutoring and writing assistance.
- SLAC posts its schedule of tutors and subjects online.
Floors 5, 6, & 7
- Most of the books and other materials you can check-out of the library are on these floors.
- Individual and group study rooms are available on these floors.
- The 5th & 6th floors are designated as the "quiet floors."