Use this guide to help with Alkek Library research.
You'll find information about how to find books, search for articles, and about the many Alkek Library services.
Guide to Alkek Library Floors
Here is information about what can be found on each floor of the Alkek Library:
- This is where you go to get help with research.
- The desk is staffed from 9:00am-9:00pm everyday but Saturday (9am-6pm) and Sunday (1pm-9pm).
- This is where you go to check out books.
- Generally, graduate students are allowed to check materials out for a semester.
- You can also check-out laptops and obtain Texshare cards here.
Workstations and Printers
- Access Internet and Microsoft production software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and etc.) on all but a few of the computers.
- If you have problems printing, there is a printer help station or you can ask for help at the Reference desk.
Reserve, Periodicals and Media Desk
- Print copies of reserve items (books, old tests, articles, etc.).
- There are also DVDs, CDs, and other types of materials like 3-D objects.
- You may check the Reserves collection to see if something is on reserve. Search by course or professor's last name.
- You may ask questions about periodicals or the media collection. The staff can help you with any problems
relating to the equipment (like the microform/fiche readers).
Newspapers, Current Magazines and Journals
- Current issues shelved alphabetically by title of periodical.
- Older issues are bound together by volume or replaced by microfilm/fiche.
- 1980-present are on the 3rd floor, if bound.
- Older than 1980 are kept in the regular collection, and may be found by their call number.
Microfilm/fiche and Readers
- Use these machines to look at journals on microfilm or microfiche.
- Assistance is available.
- Copies are .10.
- This scanner allows you to scan and then either email the document to yourself or save it to a USB drive.
- The Computer Lab provides both PC and Macintosh hardware, with a more extensive software collection than most computers on most Library computers. Software includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and SPSS.
- You'll need to check in at the Computer Lab desk and leave your student ID while using computers.
Government Information/Maps/Curriculum Materials
- Alkek Library is a Federal and State depository for government documents.
- Maps, and a special map plotter printer, are available.
- Textbooks used in the Texas public schools (elementary and high school) may also be found here.
- Student Learning Assistance Center provides tutoring and writing assistance.
- SLAC posts its schedule of tutors and subjects online.
Floors 5, 6, & 7
- Most of the books and other materials you can check-out of the library are on these floors.
- Individual and group study rooms are available on these floors.
- The 5th & 6th floors are designated as the "quiet floors."