How to use this Subject Guide
This guide was developed to help you start your research on a Sociology related topic. Each of the tabs above have information about different types of library resources and services. There is also a link to my chatbox and email form for questions you may have.
Rate This Guide
Ask A Librarian
You can also make an online or face-to-face
Here's more information
Guide to Alkek Library Floors
Information about what can be found on each floor of the Alkek Library:
- This is where you go to get help with research.
- Reference Desk Hours can be found here.
- This is where you go to check out books.
- Loan Periods for students, faculty & staff.
- You can also check-out laptops and request a Texshare Card here.
- This is the place you go to clear holds on your account.
Workstations and Printers
- Access Internet and Microsoft production software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and etc.) on all but a few of the computers.
- If you have problems printing, there is a printer help station or you can ask for help at the Reference desk.
Reserve, Periodicals and Media Desk
- Print copies of reserve items (books, old tests, articles, etc.).
- There are also dvds, cds, and other types of materials like 3-D objects.
- You can check the Reserve collection to see if something is on reserve. Search by course or professor's last name.
- You can ask questions about periodicals or the media collection. The staff can also assist you with issues relating to the equipment (like the microform/fiche readers).
Newspapers, Current Magazines and Journals
- Current issues shelved alphabetically by title of periodical.
- Older issues are bound together by volume or replaced by microfilm/fiche.(You'll need a call number to locate bound or microform periodicals.
- 1960-present are on the 3rd floor, if bound.
- Older than 1960 are kept in the regular collection, and can be found by their call number.
Microfilm/fiche and Readers
- Use these to look at journals on microfilm or microfiche.
- Assistance is available.
- Copies are .10/page or use the new DIGITAL scanner/reader. (USB drive is necessary to save articles.)
- This scanner allows you to scan and then either email the document to yourself or save it to a USB drive.
- The Computer Lab provides both PC and Macintosh hardware, with a more extensive software collection than most computers on most Library computers. Software includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and SPSS.
- You'll need to check in at the Computer Lab desk and leave your student ID.
Government Information/Maps/Curriculum Materials
- Alkek Library is a Federal and State depository for government documents.
- The area has lots of good stuff, like maps, and the special map printer/plotter.
- It's also where you can check out textbooks used in the Texas public schools (elementary and high school).
- Student Learning Assistance Center provides tutoring and writing assistance.
- SLAC posts its schedule of tutors and subjects online.
Floors 5, 6, & 7
- Most of the books and other materials you can check out of the library are on these floors.
- Individual & group study rooms are also available on these floors.
- The 5th & 6th floors are designated as the "quiet floors."
If Lisa is unavailable, try the Ask a Librarian service:
I'm unavailable for chat, send me an email and I will get back to you soon.
It is free to use this service.
Contact & Pick-up Info:
Items can be picked up at the Circulation Desk on the 2nd
Please call 512.245.4893 or
Request a card online through this TexShare Card request form or sign up in person at the Circulation Desk.
- Texshare cards allow you borrowing privileges at many local libraries, including the following participating libraries
- All current students and employees are eligible.
- Cards are valid for an entire semester.
- Materials must be returned to the same library from which they were borrowed.
- You are responsible for any charges for lost or damaged materials.
- Students that do not return items will have "holds" attached to their records that prevent you from registering for classes, obtain transcripts or grades, etc.
- For questions about TexShare contact the Circulation desk at 512.245.3681 or via email